Today I received an email (see screenshot below) advising me that registration for one of my domains would shortly expire and offering me the possibility of making a payment through a link supplied in the email.
Nothing unusual it would seem, except for a few items:
- The Registration(as per this email) expires on 12th February and the new registration was from 28th January – effectively shaving two whole weeks from the offered 1 year registration.
- Actually this Domain registration really expires Mon. 07/18/2011 a full 5 months later!!!!!!!!!!
- This email was not sent by the current registrar for this domain, but rather from a totally unknown (to me) person, with no authority or trust in my book.
- Possibly the BIGGEST PROBLEM especially for the unwary was the price – Shown in the email as $75.00 – My registrar charges $10.15 for 1 year renewals.
- When going to the linked “Secure Online Payment” page I noticed that this was not the site the email had been sent from and was amused to see that there were even more expensive renewal options available that had the word “Savings” in red next to them (see screenshot below)
Now there is nothing illegal in sending an email with the exception of spam (which this certainly was). Also there is nothing illegal in asking you to pay 7 times more for a service than normal.
So the only advice I can give is that you only use your own domain registrar of record to renew a domain registration.
As the saying goes BUYER BEWARE and so just so that you may be aware of this company their name (url for their site) is: http://registerydom.com/ – However this is not the first such email I have been sent, so my advice on seeing a similar email in your inbox is to file it in the Trash folder.